Beware of 'The Wedge!'
Get ready for the great wedge. Bend over, grab your ankles, and let Karl Rove and the Republican election strategists drive it home again.
You see, while you’re grabbing your ankles, you can’t see what’s going on right in front of you.
• Illegal immigrants draining our resources
• American jobs being shipped overseas
• assets at our ports being sold to Arab sheikdoms
• healthcare costs skyrocketing out of control
• and higher fuel costs robbing you and your family of disposable income.
No. With the wedge stuck up there where the sun don’t shine, it feels good …
• To be against gay marriage
• To deny a woman’s right to abortion
• To be fearful of judicial nominations
• To be fearful of gun control
• To outlaw burning the flag by constitutional amendment
These are the issues the political consultants promote to divide us. Are any of these issues going to determine the course of our nation? Is any one of them going to secure our borders, or protect our economy, or your job, or make energy more affordable, or ensure that you and your family have affordable healthcare?
No. Each of these wedge issues is divisive. Each is meant to stir up the emotions of fear and hate. Their promotion is a tactic to divert our attention from the problems the politicians either refuse to address or are being paid not to.
If you look at the wedge issues critically, they are all about denying citizens certain freedoms, rather than granting them rights.
While individually we might have strong feelings about each or even all of these wedge issues, should elections turn on such issues?
I hope not.
None of them is helping to solve our country’s most critical problems. We need to hold our elected leaders’ feet to the fire. We must force them to deal with real problems, not those that prey on our basest emotions of hate and fear.
If you’d like to comment on any of the foregoing, you can comment on this site by becoming a ‘blogger’ or you can e-mail me at WGDavis46@aol.com.
Visit my web site: www.authorsden.com/williamgdavis